Sunday, July 26, 2009

Who knew there was good beer in a can?

The snap of can opening beats opening a glass bottle. It's definite. The sound is the prelude to refreshment, whether it's a coke or a beer. More and more that can opening can be a beer an interesting beer, better than a national macrobrew (same beer, different tap, right?).
I've been looking for an excuse to get a sixer of craft-brewed cans--a hike, short bike ride, movie at a theater that doesn't serve beer--but nothing has come up. Too hot lately for little adventures, and maybe trying a new beer shouldn't need an occasion. Or, maybe the occasion was working on (another) Sunday afternoon. Good as any other reason.
I had read about the Oskar Blues Dale’s Pale Ale, and had my hand on the cans before I noticed Caldera's Ashland Amber. Figured to keep it in the state since it's Oregon Craft Brewers month and I didn't/chose not to go to the Oregon Brewer's Fest (1. Forgot to ask for Friday afternoon off, which is when I usually go; 2. It's too hot; 3. I'm lame). What a great surprise--the beer is great. I can't remember drinking it before, but it's a nice amber with a crisp, fresh taste. This will be a good ski lift beer, but also good for kicking back and watching So You Think You Can Dance (die Evan die!). I think there is a negative stereotype for canned beers, but wonder if enough good beers go to cans if we'll use fewer bottles? I wonder if cans are cheaper?
Brave new world. Great beer from a can. Get yourself some goodness.

1 comment:

  1. I am not sure if it is because I am used to beer in a can being more carbonated, or because it was flat, or because it wasn't a pilsner/"American" lager, but I was a little tripped out about drinking a beer that was neither bubbly nor piss water, our of a can. I think Daems had the right idea putting it into a glass to mitigate the inherent can stigma.

    ReplyDelete