Friday, July 3, 2009

Deschutes Brewery Inversion IPA

I like IPA's. A lot. For whatever reason, it took Deschutes a while to come up with a recipe that could hold its own against all the other northwest IPA's. For years, my favorite IPA was BridgePort's. It now seems bland and watered down. Over the past couple years it seems as though there was a race to make the biggest, baddest IPA in the land. The most hops, the highest IBU count, the highest ABV, etc.. I mean, everyone and their brother was making an imperial IPA. I think Inversion strikes a nice balance between the base model IPA (BridgePort) and the myriad of extreme versions. Inversion has an immediate hop flavor that makes you take notice, halfway through the pint, you can't taste much else. Not that that's a bad thing. The flavor has a nice citrus and resin note you want in a full figured IPA, it keeps the 6.8% ABV in check nicely. I think Deschutes has done this one right, to me, it's exactly what a NW IPA should be.

I give it a solid A.

-Gabe

No comments:

Post a Comment