Thursday, August 27, 2009

Consecration by Russian River Brewing Company

I bought a bottle of Russian River's Consecration the last, first and only time I've been to John's Market Place. I love Pliny the Elder, and was really excited to try Consecration. So excited that I didn't read the label...it's a dark ale aged in Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. I'm all for barrel aged beers, but the only barrel aged ones I've had have been imperials aged in whisky or bourbon barrels. This was, well, very tannic and tasted very much like Cab Sav. It very inside baseball to me--something the brewers' had spent much time deliberating before finding an occasion to execute. It's the most insular type of creation--made for those who are the most effete. To be honest, I generally try to be in that group, but this way outside of the strike zone...and it is ridiculously expensive at $24 per bottle. So, I've learned to stick with the more moderately priced expensive beer, and to read the label before you buy. Next on my review list--an Allagash Belgian.

No comments:

Post a Comment